The blood circulation in the body is triggered by the beating of the heart. With the help of the blood vessels, heart circulates the blood throughout our entire body. Blood vessels are of 2 types, which are:
• Arteries which carry the blood away from the heart to different parts of the body.
which carry the blood back to the heart.
A vascular disease is caused when the circulatory system inside the body does not function perfectly. This is normally due to the impact on arteries or veins due to which the blood circulation is hampered. This hampering can lead to stroke and vascular diseases. Vascular diseases are of 6 different types.
We would today detail the 6 types of vascular diseases in order to help you better understand and detect these conditions better.
1. Peripheral artery disease:
Peripheral artery disease is caused whenever there is a blockage in the peripheral arteries rather than the coronary arteries. This can be due to the deposition of cholesterol or fat in the artery. This would eventually narrow down the artery which would cause less blood supply or which would completely cut off the blood flow. Some of the peripheral artery diseases include:
• Peripheral artery disease: This is normally caused due to the blockage of the blood vessels in the legs which can cause symptoms like a change of skin color in legs or tiredness legs.
• Intestinal ischemic syndrome: This ailment is caused due to the blockage of blood vessels which supply blood to the gastrointestinal system.
• Renal artery disease: This ailment is caused whenever the arteries supplying blood to the renal system are blocked. The symptoms include kidney failure or hypertension.
• Popliteal entrapment syndrome: This syndrome is caused by the blockage of the blood vessels near the knee. It restricts the blood supply to the bottom part of the legs below the knee. This is pretty common in athletes as well as sports-persons.
• Raynaud’s Phenomenon: This phenomenon is caused due to the blockage of the arteries connecting the extreme parts of the body like the toes or the finger ends.
• Buerger’s disease: This disease is caused by the blockage of the small arteries throughout the body. The symptoms are extreme pain in arms as well as legs.
2. Carotid artery disease:
Carotid arteries are the arteries which supply the blood to head as well as neck. Whenever there is any obstruction in these arteries, carotid artery disease is caused. We would share with you some of the different types of carotid artery diseases below.
• Carotid artery disease: This disease is normally caused whenever there is a blockage in the blood vessel which is supplying blood to the brain. It can cause transient ischemic attack or a stroke.
• Carotid artery dissection: This condition is caused as a result of a tear in a layer of the artery wall. This leads to leakage of blood through the artery walls.
• Carotid body tumors: This is caused by the growth of extra cells within the carotid artery.
• Carotid artery aneurysm: This condition is caused due to the formation of blood clots in the carotid artery connecting the brain.
Venous diseases are usually caused due to the blockage of the veins rather than the arteries. Some of the vascular diseases which are caused by the blockage of the veins include:
• Varicose Veins: This condition is caused due to the damage to the walls of the veins which are just below the skin. The symptoms are bulging veins or purple veins.
• Spider veins: This disease is caused by the swollen capillaries especially in the lower part of the body like in the knees or the thighs. The symptoms are small red dots on the lower half of the body.
• Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome: This condition is caused due to excessive growth of bone or soft tissue near the veins in the limbs. It is a congenital vascular disorder.
• May-Thurner syndrome: This condition is caused due to the compression of the left iliac vein by the right iliac artery.
• Thoracic outlet syndrome: This condition is caused due to the compression of veins in the chest area of the body or in the neck.
• Chronic venous insufficiency: This condition is caused due to the improper functioning of valves of the veins in the leg.
Blood clots are formed in the blood vessels due to the solidification of blood. Blood clots can easily result in stroke and vascular diseases
. Some of the diseases which are caused due to the presence of blood clots are:
• Deep vein thrombosis: This is a condition which is caused by a blood clot occurring in the deep vein in the body.
• Pulmonary embolism: This condition is caused due to the blood clot which gets formed in some other part of the body but later on breaks away and reaches the lungs.
• Axillo-subclavian vein thrombosis: This condition is caused due to the compression of a vein in the upper arm or the shoulder region of the body which can cause blood clots.
• Superficial thrombophlebitis: This condition is caused due to a blood clot which is present in a vein which is just under the skin.
Aneurysm is usually caused due to a bulge which is present in the blood vessels. The most common blood vessel in which this bulge occurs is the one which takes the blood away from the heart. Some of the diseases which are caused due to this condition are:
• Thoracic aortic aneurysm: This condition is caused when the bulge occurs in the artery wall while blood is being pumped through it. This weakens the artery in which the bulge occurs.
• Abdominal aortic aneurysm: This condition is caused when the bulge either occurs in the arteries above the kidneys or connecting the renal system or below the kidneys.
6. Fibromuscular Dysplasia:
This condition is caused due to the extra growth of cells in the walls of the medium as well as larger arteries. This reduces the blood flow through those arteries.
So, as you can see any obstruction in the blood vessels can cause plenty of serious conditions like stroke and vascular diseases which we have described above. Rather than taking these conditions lightly, it is a better idea to get in touch with medical experts at The Colorado Neurological Institute in Englewood Colorado whenever you detect any of the above mentioned symptoms. The medical experts in The Colorado Neurological Institute in Englewood Colorado are not only capable of detecting these conditions but also treating them entirely to help you lead a healthy life once again.